Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Lower the Bar

I bought my almost three year old son Cars Valentines for his class party at school. They were the perforated tear apart kind. I had him practice writing a T for his first name and then signed his name for him. His teachers asked that we not write who they were to so that the kids could deliver them easier (since 2 year olds can't read...at least not until another 15 years when that's the expectation). We attached the mini Lightning McQueen notepad and then he put the little heart sticker that came in the pack on each one.  And there you have it. Our stellar Valentines.

As I was trolling Facebook the night before his party I saw beautiful pictures of incredibly crafty Valentine's that many moms had helped (done for) their kids' class parties.  It got me thinking...when did we raise the bar for these things? When did moms decide, hey, I'm going to come up with an elaborately unnecessary craft, that I don't have the time or money to do, and I'm going to completely stress out about completing it at midnight the night before my child's Valentine's Party at school, when the stores sells (for much cheaper) a perfectly good option that has been used for centuries (ok years)?! (can you say extremely run on sentence!?)

If you are a mom who has the skill (which I clearly do not and desire (which I clearly also do not) to make these adorable (it's true, they are) Pinterest inspired crafts then I applaud you. I thank you! I appreciate the candy and goldfish and cookies that you gave my kid when all you got in return was a lousy notepad. I can also see many kids enjoying putting these elaborate things together with their parents and beaming with pride as they distribute them to their class. But I, the non-crafty, un-inspired mom chose to keep it simple, and in no way judge you if you do not.

Partly due to the fault of our schools (I am a teacher I can say this) we have completely overcomplicated things. When did we have to up the ante on Valentines? Or on birthday party favors?  Or on this hundredth day of school business? (Good news to elementary school moms-no one does this in middle school or high school! You're almost done with it!)

These are all very cute opportunities to celebrate and play in school or in life, which we frankly need more of, but maybe we could lower the bar. Let's give one cheesy favor at birthday parties instead of 10 cheesy ones. Lets get back to perforated or construction paper Valentines. And for the love, please don't ask me to count out 100 of anything for my kid on the 100th day of school. I'm already dreading this. I'm going to have to steal ideas from my current students of the simplest way to accomplish this.

Let's lower the bar. Let's make our lives simpler. Hey, if we all do it then our kids won't feel left out and they won't know the difference:) Who's with me?! Underachievers unite:)

No comments:

Post a Comment